Happy Mother’s Day! May your day be filled with love, pampering and joy! – Cute Beltz
Happy Mother’s Day Special – Save 15% off all kids belts, on orders $25.00 or more. Coupon code, MOM
With Mother’s Day around the corner, it’s time to celebrate all the wonderful things moms do. A perfect gift is to give mom a break from cooking. Treat Mom to a delicious brunch this Mother’s Day with some of our favorite recipes.
Whole-Grain Waffles with Cherry Sauce
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by making your mom a delicious, healthy brunch. Take advantage of spring fruits and vegetables for a delicious Mother’s Day menu. Enjoy our Whole-Grain Waffles with Cherry Sauce for a sweet breakfast or our Chard & Feta Tart, a satisfying savory dish your mom will love.
1. To prepare cherry sauce: Combine cherries, water, honey, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Set aside.
2. To prepare waffles: Preheat oven to 200°F; place a large baking sheet on the center rack.
3. Whisk whole-wheat flour (see Measuring Tip), cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Lightly beat eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla; whisk until well blended. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
4. Preheat a Belgian-style waffle iron. Lightly coat it with cooking spray. Add enough batter to cover about two-thirds of the surface (about 2/3 cup); distribute evenly with a spatula. Close and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the waffles to the baking sheet to keep warm until ready to serve; do not stack. Repeat with the remaining batter, using more cooking spray as needed. Warm the cherry sauce over medium heat until hot and bubbling; serve with the waffles.
Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad
Packed with protein and fiber, this tuna and bean salad is ready in a flash. For an extra kick, add a pinch of crushed red pepper or cayenne.
1. Combine beans, tuna, bell pepper, onion, parsley, capers, rosemary, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl. Season with pepper and combine the remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil and salt in a large bowl. Add salad greens; toss to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Top each with the tuna salad.
Savory Ricotta Pancakes with Tomato-Chard Sauce
Pancakes transcend breakfast when they’re made with savory ricotta cheese and topped with an Italian tomato and Swiss chard sauce.
1. Cut ribs and stems from Swiss chard leaves. Cut ribs and stems into 1-inch pieces; cut leaves into 2-inch pieces. Rinse Swiss chard thoroughly in large bowl of cold water; swish to remove any dirt. With hands, transfer chard to colander, leaving dirt in bottom of bowl. Repeat process, changing water, until all the dirt is removed.
2. Prepare Tomato-Chard Sauce: In 4-quart saucepan, heat olive oil on medium until hot. Add onion and garlic, and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring. Add tomatoes with their puree and 1/4 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling on medium-high. Stir in Swiss chard; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Remove cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes longer or until chard is tender and sauce is thickened slightly, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; cover to keep sauce warm.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Prepare Savory Ricotta Pancakes: In blender or food processor with knife blade attached, blend egg yolks, ricotta, and milk until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and blend until smooth; transfer batter to 8-cup glass measure or medium bowl.
4. In small bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites just until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. With rubber spatula, fold beaten whites into batter.
5. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt 1 piece of margarine on medium. Drop batter by 1/4 cups into skillet, making 4 to 5 pancakes at a time. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until the edges are dry and bottoms are browned. Turn pancakes over and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Transfer pancakes to platter; keep warm in oven.
6. Repeat with remaining margarine and batter to make about 16 pancakes in all. Serve pancakes with warm Tomato-Chard Sauce; sprinkle with shredded Romano.
This slightly tart fruity Bellini recipe will zing you awake. It’s the prettiest color imaginable and it makes a brunch instantly fun! You can serve the Bellinis in champagne flutes or in simple Mason jars—be creative!
1. Puree papaya, pineapple, raspberries, lime zest, mint and ginger in a blender until completely smooth. Add juice and ice and blend until the ice is crushed. If the mixture is too tart for your taste, add 1 tablespoon honey at a time, blending after each addition, until it’s as sweet as you like. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
2. To serve, stir the Bellini mixture and divide among 8 glasses. Very slowly top each drink with wine. Gently stir, if necessary. (You’ll have about two-thirds of a bottle remaining; top off drinks as desired.)
It’s the thought behind the gift that counts, but when that gift arrives in a beautifully hand wrapped package it’s a bit more special. Receiving a fabulously wrapped gift doesn’t just build up anticipation for the gift inside, it adds to the gift as a whole. You can do something simple, like wrapping your gift in kraft paper and decorating it with washi tape, or get your hands dirty and make some yarn pom-poms. However you decide to decorate your gift, you can always find something lying around the house to use. If you’re looking for some easy and creative gift wrapping ideas for your next birthday party or holiday, take a look at our roundup of DIY gift wrap ideas.
Have Spare Tissue?
Do you ever find yourself with packs of tissue paper but not gift bags? Here’s a way to use all of that spare tissue paper in a fun, creative, DIY way. Try layering different colors of tissue paper for a simple yet eye-catching look.
For an assortment of smaller gifts, keep them all together in a wooden box like this one. These cases are usually only a few dollars from a craft store. Fill it up with filler grass and organize the individual gifts for a completely aesthetic presentation.
Make It a Piece of Art
If you’re ithe creative type, share something special by designing original art and showcasing it on top of the wrapped gift like this one. It’ll be a present to remember, and hopefully the person receiving the gift will want to keep it as a way to remember that special day.
Rolls of Fun
For odd-shaped or tubular presents, try the Tootsie Roll twist. Depending on the fabric you choose, you can make this gift fit any occasion and stand out, too. Then, with two short strings, you can tie simple bows around the ends and voila!
Thinking Outside the Box (or Bag)
You can find many interesting alternatives to the traditional wrapped gift or gift tote at any container Store – just use your creativity! Look for a container that goes with the theme of your gift, add a ribbon and bow, and presto! You’ve created a one of a kind gift presentation, and a gift within a gift!
Do you have a gift wrapping idea? Share it with us! – Cute Beltz
Mother’s Day is coming up fast. It’ll be nice to take the time to make a Mom feel special for all the laundry, home-cooked meals, and much needed advice she has given us over the years. Take a peek at our selection of creative and memorable gift ideas that will surely make mom smile!
Create a Scrapbook
This is something your mom can hang onto and show off as an awesome keepsake. It can include pictures, quotes about moms and/or pieces of advice your mom has given you, artifacts like pieces of a quilt that she made or pictures you made as a kid, written down memories, information about her favorite foods, recipes, vacations, music, etc. Make it fun, but most of all, make it about her! It doesn’t have to be extravagant or artsy as long as it’s got heart. Scrapbook or craft stores will have everything you need to make your mom a keepsake she’ll truly enjoy.
Make a CD
Most computers have the ability to burn CDs with music. Grab some of your mom’s favorite songs and load them up on a CD. Maybe include a few that were popular when you were born? For extra credit, you could personalize the cover of the CD and even decorate the jewel case.
Replace Candy with a Memory Jar
Write out some of your best memories (a dozen or more) of mom or grandma on small pieces of pretty paper. Include things you’ve done together, favorite family traditions, things she’s done or said that made a difference to you, the best advice she’s given you. Fold them and put them into a jar so that she can “munch on them” over time. People are often surprised at your best memories of them. You’ll be surprised at how much sharing these memories means to mom or grandma.
Kitchen Herb Garden
Another garden idea is to plant a kitchen herb garden. This is a fabulous gift for a mom who loves to cook. Not only will she have beautiful herbal plants (many of which bloom and have lovely flowers) but the fragrance and bounty for cooking is perfect! You can also plant these in boxes or small beds outside the house. Check your geographical zone to find out what grows in the areas where you live
A Basket of Moms Favorite Things
Buy a pretty basket and stuff it full of your Moms favorite stuff like: Tea, chocolate, wine, coffee, snacks, confections, makeup, books, bookmarks, gift cards, a framed picture of the kids- so on and so forth. Tie the basket off with a pretty ribbon and voila! It’s a personalized, thoughtful gift that she will surely cherish.
Being a mother is the greatest gift I have been given. Yesterday, although my oldest daughter was getting over a cold, it was a beautiful day. It was a day filled with homemade cards, flowers, breakfast in bed and all three meals cooked by my hubby! He, also cleaned up, so that was an extra BONUS!
I relaxed, watched a few movies with my girls and just did what I wanted to do. A perfect day for this Mom.
What was the highlight of your day?
Have a great day,